Friday 6 February 2015

Log Cabin Class Work in Progress

Today my Log Cabin Workshop Class came together for their second class. So much exciting progress had been made. This class is a skills builder, leading on from Simple Sampler. We take just one Simple Sampler block and explode its possibilities, looking at how to make secondary patterns, then moving on to modern interpretations of the Log Cabin, using negative space, playing with scale, and improvisational piecing. This class have been bold and we have some gorgeous quilts being made. Take a look at what is emerging,


Frogs in Lily Ponds.............


Lots of inspiration, and lots of 2 inch strips floating about the place, catching the light


Gorgeous rich blues, can't wait to see this finished


Cool modern neutrals, another knockout combination


So many ideas to choose from


Improv log cabin piecing


More improv piecing, some old favourite scraps from the bin repurposed



A bold boyish, peacock colours Log Cabin Plus Block


Valentine hearts in Log Cabin style


The frogs had a cool blue pond by the end of the class.....




Ohh look - new fabric arrived too - Red Riding Hood by Blend Fabrics....I adore the Fair Isle print and Crochet Granny Squares fabric - might be making myself a new Granny Bag...all the better for sewing with my dear..x


ps Did you watch the Great British Sewing Bee this week? Thursday nights at 8pm-9pm, it was great this week ( catch up on BBC iplayer ). Yesterday I made a Sausage Dog Pin Cushion as a homage to Heather, last years winner. She had a pinDog last year and I admired it all series. I decided it was time to make my own. I tweaked a toy pattern I had and here he is...Buttons The Sausage PinDog, except he's too cute to stick pins in!