Sunday 16 November 2014

Finished Norway Quilt for My Boy


This weekend I've been binding my Norway Quilt for my boy. This quilt was so much fun to make. The pattern is by Bonnie and Camille Thimbleblossom Quilts and can be bought as a pdf instant download - instant quilting gratification!



This quilt is made up from completely 2.5 inch strips so it's quick and easy to cut, cut, cut with your rotary cutter then you're ready to sew.

I choose 9 colours, plus a background ( Kona Silver) and a neutral for the centre crosses ( a Tilda slade blue pattern). It'soften really hard to choose fabrics for boys, especially when they get past the 'diggers and pirates' age for fabric designs. We went for mustards, browns, pine green and cherry red all against the slatey grey and blues. I'm really happy with how it turned out and my Boy says he loves it so that's what matters!


I decided to get this quilt long armed quilted for extra durability. It's going to have a robust life - it went on muddy photo shoot up to the barn, in the barn, hanging out of the barn etc this morning with Boy. Of course Dog had to get in on the act too. It came home crumpled, damp, hay stuck to it. This quilt will definitely live a full life!


I went for a stars pattern, which sits almost perfectly in the centre of each grey open area. It's quilted in a pale grey King Tut thread. Jenny really pulled the stops out and finished this up in a week for me - and I know just how busy she is at the moment with all the PlainStitch ladies finishes coming her way each week!





 The binding was a scrappy selection of 2.5inch strips that were left over from the piecing - the perfect no waste pattern!

Finally a gratuitous doggie pic of Boy's best friend - wuv you Puppers x