Tuesday 1 May 2012

The Scandi Tray Quilt




Someone asked me recently how many quilts I have made. I had a guess, maybe thirty? Except when I started tallying them up I realised that there was a whole lot more than thirty!!! I decided I would work my way backwards in order photographing them all so I'd have a record of all of my work.


So here we have the Scandi Tray Quilt. I finished this one last week. The fabric line is by a designer called Lotta Jansdotter and as soon as I saw it I knew exactly what I wanted to do with it. I had this picture;




pinned on my pinboard for ages. Its a tray designed by Maria Dahlgren and I love the pattern and colours. Using the picture I worked out a pattern using 4 inch squares and half square triangles. I partnered the prints with solid colours from my stash to calm the busyness of all those angles and patterns.

I had a really strong idea of what I wanted to achieve, but I had quite a few wobbles on this as it progressed. I wasn't sure about the darker greys and browns and even considered ripping them out, but as is often the way I feel now that the contrasts are what makes the design work. You often have to work against the brains natural desire to make things 'matchy matchy'!

I quilted it in a simple grid pattern. I actually machine quilted this quilt, it's only the second I have. I am a total hand quilt devotee and I'm not delighted with the machine quilting, but the graphic straight lines lent themselves to machine accuracy, it's good to experiment at least!



I backed the quilt in this lovely wobbly pint from the same line. One width of fabric was too narrow so I added two strips with a splash of yellow. I'm loving the sunny yellow against the cloud grey - kind of like he mad weather at the moment!!