Wednesday 18 December 2013

A Homemade Christmas

After a two night crafty Christmas TV marathon ( Kirstie Allsop and The Great British Christmas Sewing Bee) I'm all set for a little bit of home made Christmas crafting myself this week if I get the chance. The weather is bleak and cold and perfect for staying home with the twinkly Christmas lights and getting some Christmas spirit going. (Obviously in reality that picture perfect scenario also involves sourcing 100 sausage rolls that have to be warm and delivered to school at 8.30am, plus various other school based requirements which kind of have the opposite effect on my Christmas spirit if I'm honest ( bah humbug!)).

Did you enjoy the Great British Sewing Bee? I have to confess ( and i feel a bit guilty saying so) I did think some of the homemade gifts they made were kind of the reason why many people go cold at the idea! I did love Patrick's deer jumper though. On Kirstie's show I loved loved loved the gypsy neon wall art too! Wow that wasn't quite in the category of easy to achieve at home with a few tools kind of craft though was it?!

Anyway, this year I have only managed my Christmas quilt which i'm super pleased with. But over the years I have started to build up my homemade Christmas items. Now i'm not pretending that all my decs are handmade and lovingly crafted. I can't make it through my local garden centre grotto or John Lewis's Christmas store without a purchase or ten, but I do love my homemade stuff the most.

I thought I'd show you a few of the crafty bits and bobs we have made over the years. I love that they are a kind of story of the crafty obsessions that come and go!

There was the start of needlefelting:

Always room for more robins over the years!






Obviously a Christmas stocking each

Easy felty decs made by the kids when they were smaller

Last years operated on ankle over Christmas meant i got a lot of seasonal cross stitch done





My stocking I made when I was 8 with my nan

On my Christmas - one-day-things-to-do list remains a tree skirt, some festive cushions, I would like to make a stuffed moose head out of felt....erm...what else do you fancy making in the fantasy 'week before Christmas' if you weren't tearing around Tesco looking for sausage rolls? x