Tuesday 26 June 2012

The 50's Picnic Quilt


I'm starting to try out the old memory now as we go back in time through all-of-the-quilts-i-ever-made and we are only on last year with this one! I adore the colours on this quilt. They just shout out 1950's kitchens don't you think? I paired them with some fabric that's usually known as 'shirting', which I think means its a repro of 1800's fabrics that would have been used for shirting? Anyway its an offwhite with an almost duck egg bluey beige tinge and little spots and stars, lovely - but really hard to match to anything in my stash. This quilt was originally envisaged against a crisp white, but somehow these fabrics really worked against the brights and gave a really soft vintage feel. The pattern was I think originally from an old Better Homes and Gardens quilting magazine
The quilt is made up of two pieced blocks, quarter triangles of 4 prints to make one square and then three pieced rectangles of the backing fabric ( i used three different shirting prints) to make the centre squares. Its really simple when you get the pattern locked down, but it's one of those quilts that take over your floor while you piece them, which with three young kids and a dog means these quilts always end up smaller than I might like!
I used the leftovers for the back, I really regret not buying more of this fabric, it would have made a wonderful patchwork squares quilt wouldn't it? After this experience I now only ever buy half metre cuts or larger, I find a fat quarter always leaves me short. I hand quilted this top using circles in each of the square sections. I drew around those ikea plastic beakers that I am sure EVERY family with kids has! I use them loads as quilting and applique templates, a really useful size.